Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Positively Christian

This post was actually already posted last April 26, 2011 as PositiveThinking Christians – Be One! However, it was mainly for audiences in my home country, so I did some editing for the international readers...

As Christians, do we really have an idea what positive thinking is? A friend of mine claims that they practice a “no negativity” rule at home, and I was almost convinced she knew what she was saying until I heard her conversation with my sister. Honestly, I forgot the beginning part, since I wasn't listening too well. But the ending part sure did get my attention.

It went something like this...

Sister: ...Then *bleep* would probably murder you.

Friend: Hey... Take that back...

Sister: Huh? How do you want me to take that back? You want me to say that *bleep* will not murder you?

Friend: Yes...

Sister: Alright, *bleep* would not murder you!

And then that friend was relieved...

By the way, our friend was already twenty three years old when they had this conversation. I was even led to think that, for a Christian, she believes in curses. And for me, curses only work if you believe in them.

How?

You make them happen!

Mystified? Prepare to be amazed at how non-mystical the explanation really is...

Ever heard of the term RAS or reticular activating system? In a nutshell, RAS is our brain's ability to close the gap between how we project ourselves, what we want to achieve, and reality. Ever experienced suddenly having an idea when you're in the bathroom, or coming up with a solution in a dream? That's your RAS at work. And that's why visualizing our goals and affirming them are such effective tools. Many athletes and businessmen use this method. And honestly, I also do.

When you constantly visualize something positive, let's say an additional hundred bucks in your monthly income by a certain date, you subconsciously begin to notice resources that you may have overlooked before. Subconsciously, your habits and actions begin to change. And eventually, you find yourself going in the direction of that additional hundred bucks.

Now, what do you think would happen if you constantly think something bad will happen to you?

Well, of course, the Lord is watching over us, and would always want to lead us to the right path. Which is more reason for us to stay positive, by the way. But remember that we are also accountable for our own actions and behavior.

Let me give you an example as to what I am trying to explain here... Let's say you went up the penthouse of a twenty story building with a group of friends. God provided you with His protection when He used someone to place ledges all around the vicinity so you will not fall off. But feeling quite brave and wanting to show off to your friends, you climbed over the ledge and began to walk across. In the middle of your balancing act, you stepped on a banana peel (I don't know who left it there, either), slipped, then fell off the building.

Who or what do you think sent you to your doom? The banana peel? The person who left the banana peel? Wrong! It was your decision to climb up the ledge and show off. Just as it is your decision to think those negative thoughts, and put the curse on yourself.

I believe that God really wants to give what's best for us, but we can't get to his plan because of the traps we get ourselves into. The trap of seeing the less in us instead of our true potential... The trap of always comparing ourselves to someone who we think is better. We limit ourselves because we tend to think we fall short of whatever is needed to succeed.

If we constantly project that we are undeserving, we subconsciously relate it to our actions and behavior, and we get more of what we don't want. But just as it is our decision to get up that ledge, we can also decide to go down before we fall off. Remember that we are accountable for how we act and behave. And most certainly, we can control the thoughts that we think, the way we give value to ourselves, and the extent of what we can achieve.

"We are limited but we can push back the borders of our limitations."

- Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People


God bless!




“For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future” – Jeremiah 29:11

“Ask, using my name, and you will have abundant joy.” - John 16:24

“A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.” - Luke 6:45

"When a man is gloomy, everything seems to go wrong; when he is cheerful, everything seems right!” - Proverbs 15:15 
 
1 Now, I would like to let you know that I don't really practice a “no-negativity” rule for myself... I practice the rule of positivity! See? Even your choice of words can make something sound more positive. And besides, “no negativity” still focuses on the negative. I like to focus on the positive. And with more and more practice I have gotten a little better at it. I found that outside circumstances do not affect me that much, I can control my temper better, and I feel more confident. Although I'm no expert. I can still share with you some basic techniques I use to stay more positive on a future post.

(Update: Post is already available here.)

2 For further reading about RAS or reticular activating system, read The Success Principles by Jack Canfield


I value additional insights and feed back, your comments are appreciated.
Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment