Pages

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Enviously Inspiring - by Johanna Tacus

“And I saw that all toil and all achievement spring from one person’s envy of another. This too is meaningless, a chasing after the wind.” -- Ecclesiastes 4:4

When I read this verse, I reflected on my goals and on the general direction of my life. Did I truly want to achieve these things, or was it because I saw someone else do it, and then I wanted to do it too? Which desires can I point out as my own, and which ones were there just because I envied someone else?


People want to be unique. To be true to their own self. To follow their own dreams. To find happiness in doing the things that they want. But, could it be that their own desires is not really their own, but sprung from comparison with another?

Upon looking at myself, I saw that there were things that came from another’s.

My love for cats came from my mom.
I grew my hair long because I saw my classmates flip their hair so fabulously. (Hahaha!)
I own a laptop right now because my friend had one.
I started to wear high heels because an officemate expressed her love for them.
I learned how to type fast, because a friend bragged about her typing speed.
Once, I even had a crush on a guy because someone else liked him!

How many times have we heard, “Wow, gusto ko rin nyan?” (Wow, I also like that)

But there are also things that I “borrowed” that I’m thankful for.

I got into the habit of coming every Sunday to attend fellowship, because a friend was always there.
I learned to pray hard by the example of others.
I loved to sing praises because of the song leaders.
I became nice to others because I appreciated how an officer was nice to me.
I give because others gave.
And yes, a part of the reason why I became a care group leader (aside from following God) was because I was inspired by my own leader.

So is it really wrong to want what others do? But maybe we should just be careful in discerning whether it is envy, or if it is an inspiration.

Is it so bad to be un-unique? Is it really that important to search and find a “true self’? Maybe we should just be careful of who we pattern ourselves to. The apostle Paul said, “Imitate me, as I imitate Christ.” (1 Corinthians 11:1) He’s saying that he’s leading by example – the example of Jesus.

The best role model to emulate would be Jesus Christ. The best identity is an identity in Christ. Look unto Jesus and be like Him.

______________________________________________________
I value additional insights and feed back, your comments are appreciated.
Comments
0 Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment